We can always use helping hands and donations.
Collect items, make a meal, share your talents – there are many ways to make a difference at Saranam.
Interested in getting involved at Saranam? There are many ways to help teach, encourage, and connect with our families. Choose what you’d like to do from the lists below or create your own idea and share it with us.
See what a difference your help can make!
General volunteer activities
- Volunteer to work with families for evening activities including helping with life skills, family fun, small children, and our library
- Tutor adults
- Sort donations in our warehouse
- Decorate apartments and move furniture during the summer
- Help in the Saranam office
- Help with property maintenance including yardwork, small projects like building and painting a fence, courtyard cleanup, and playground upkeep
- Donate clothes
- Support special events including family field trips, reunions, and all-community activities
- Join a committee to support the organization
- Join our board as a member
- Collect household supplies –Every month we provide families with essential household items including diapers, soap, and cleaning supplies. Help us fulfill their needs
- Host a gift card drive- Get together with your community to collect gift cards for our families. We can always use gift cards from Walmart, Target, or grocery stores
- Amazon Wishes- Order anything from our Amazon Wish Lists and it will be delivered directly to our door
- Make a treat– Our families love a good meal from the heart. Make or buy meals, treats, or other grocery items and we will distribute them to families
- Gather cold weather needs – Donate blankets, gloves, mittens, and other cold weather necessities to keep families warm in the winter
Contact Jennifer Clear
Child education opportunities
- Record a story– Record a video of yourself reading a story for children. These stories provide enrichment and connection for kids. Stories for all ages are welcome.
- Tutor a child – Assist with online youth tutoring.
- Create activity packets– Assemble craft or activity kits for children and drop them off at Saranam. Ideas include:
- Origami, friendship bracelets, or other hand crafts
- Simple sewing projects
- Trivia questions, crosswords, or other word and number puzzles
- Small painting projects
- Science rocks! –Send us a fun science experiment we can do with kids during our weekly community meetings.
Adult education opportunities
Share your skills – Do you have a passion on a topic you can share? An important part of our program is learning life skills so families can maintain their progress outside of our program. Help us create a virtual library of knowledge by recording a 3–5-minute video showcasing a skill, for instance:
- Cooking tips
- Gardening how-tos
- Household hacks
- DIY house projects
- Car care and maintenance
Contact Dianne Campbell
Community care opportunities
- Write encouraging messages– Brighten our families’ days with uplifting notes and messages. We’ll post them in our online classes and in emails. Here are some ideas:
- Write a card and send it to our office
- Find us on Facebook and post a message, gif, or photo on our wall
- Make a sign or drawing, take a picture of it and email it to us
- Send self-care packages– Encourage our parents to focus on self-care by donating items including soothing music, candles, lotions, and helpful books
- Share a brain break– Our families are working so hard and need a break like the rest of us. Share a video of something you do to relax or even a hidden talent like yoga, music, dancing, or magic.
Contact Dianne Campbell
During the COVID pandemic volunteer activities at Saranam will vary. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us directly and we’ll let you know what opportunities are currently available.