We’re looking for families who are ready to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty.
Applications are now closed for 2021. If you turned in an application this year, please refer to the timeline below for additional information about next steps.
We welcome new families to Saranam once a year in the late summer. Review the screening statements below to determine whether you or someone you know is a good candidate for our program. If the answer is “yes” to each question, please apply.
A good candidate for Saranam must:
- Be experiencing homelessness, living with another family or person, or couch surfing
- Have custody of at least one child who is a minor (under age 18)
- Be sober and drug-free
- Want to end their homelessness
- Want to be a full-time student (without being employed)
- Be willing to learn to live without Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Be willing to be part of a community
- Be willing to make lifestyle changes
- Be willing to involve your children in our community
- Be able to pass a background check and drug test
These factors disqualify candidates for Saranam:
- Not currently experiencing homelessness
- Being sober for less than 90 days
- Having one parent committed to change, and one who is not
- Not being interested in being a full-time student
- Not being interested in living with their children
- Cannot participate in English-based education
Check our FAQ for more information about joining Saranam or download them here.
Families applying to Saranam must have a referral and find their own referral source. References can come from: case workers, case managers, therapists, physicians, pastors/clergy, teachers, or a respected source outside the family who has worked with the family and knows them well. Referral sources must complete the referral information questions located on page one of the application.